Sr. Electronics High Speed Digital Design Engineer
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada .
full-time . July 19, 2022
full-time . July 19, 2022
The Alpha Insights team is building the world's premier space-based and super-high-resolution, Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) satellite technology. Our mission is to pair Alpha's SAR-XL technology with a predictive analytics platform—delivering unprecedented global insights for precision agriculture, environmental monitoring, supply chain tracking, security, and more.
Alpha Insights' next-generation SAR satellite technology is designed to provide broad coverage and ultra-high-resolution data that can penetrate biomass, soil, and sand. This dual, X and L band, SAR features real-time processing and space-based AI for use in diverse applications—everything from farming to market research.
The Sr. Electronics High Speed Digital Design Engineer, will be responsible for the design and development of high-speed digital embedded systems at the heart of Alpha Insights’ next generation of remote sensing synthetic aperture radar satellites.
Essential Job Functions:
- Design high speed electronics circuit boards using the latest Xilinx and Micro-Semi FPGAs
- Schematic capture and PCB layout of circuit design
- Selection of electronic parts suitable for space applications, including radiation tolerance
- Supporting parts procurement and supply chain monitoring
- Board bring-up and characterization
- Contribute to the definition and maintenance of the electronic parts library
- Participate in all aspects of the project life cycle including concept definition and trade-offs, requirements development, design, testing, release, and maintenance.
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary technical team, participating in defining the overall Radar and how the embedded electronics interface with the larger system.
- Ensure the designs are space, mass, and power efficient and are designed to high reliability standards.
- Familiarity with FPGA firmware and software environments
- Able to work in a schedule driven environment
- B.Sc. or higher in electrical or electronic engineering
- Mandatory: 10+ years’ experience in high-speed digital design (500MHz and above) showing continued growth and the development of applications of increasing complexity and performance
- Preferred: Experience with designing for space applications is an asset but consideration will be given to applicants with strong technical design skills.
- Electronics design of high-speed digital circuits: schematic capture, PCB layout
- Experience with latest FPGAs, microprocessors, soft microprocessors, System-on-Chips, including Xilinx Virtex/Zynq Ultrascale+, Microsemi SmartFusion2/PolarFire FPGA SoC
- Experience with GHz class ADCs and DACs
- Experience with power supply design for FPGA circuits
- Implementation of high-speed digital interfaces such as Xilinx Aurora
- Mechanical and thermal design of space electronics units
- Understanding of the effects of ionizing radiation on integrated electronics. Radiation testing and mitigation techniques
- Supervising the subcontract manufacturing of high-speed circuit boards and electronics assemblies
- Ability to interact with and direct junior members of the team
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written.